I'm as old as this flag, but we both SALUTE you & our fellow Americans!

I'm as old as this flag, but we both SALUTE you & our fellow Americans!
Please watch the PHOTO SLIDE-SHOW before you read about where I now make my home in Nevada. WELCOME TO WHERE I LIVE AND WHY I DO!

ENJOY THE MUSIC & SLIDE-SHOW. I'VE LIVED IN ALL THESE PLACES; SOME ARE JUST CHERISHED MOMENTS.

THIS IS A BEAUTIFUL VIDEO - We live about 2 hours from the Hopi Nation.

I visited the web-site Nancy Snider sent to me, and I answered those questions:

Have you seen a Kansas sunset? Have you seen an Arizona rain? I answer 'yes' to both. The sunset blazing as it sets in Nevada? Aha - and how; today it was just that, and I've lived in Nevada for 8 years now.

Have you drifted down a bayou down Louisiana way? Yes, I have. Have you seen the fog in San Francisco Bay - many times. Have you heard the bird calling in the Carolinas? You betcha - both in North and South!

Have you heard the call of the Niagara Falls? More than once - and splashed with its cold mist; amazed at its power! What about that Massachusetts shore? More than once; dining on huge deep-fried clams; walking around Boston, and noticing Plymouth Rock didn't seem to be all that big.

I saw New York - more than once; amazed at the beauty of the many who co-exist in this place where Lady Liberty stands guard.

I've seen the Mississippi more than once; crossed her many times. I was born in Michigan; from the upper peninsula to the lower, I've toured every county - loved seeing Lake Huron; Ontario, Michigan - Erie, and Superior.

Going through the Rockies; driving 2630 miles from Ohio to Seattle in 3 days - I could not believe my eyes as I passed through the Dakotas; into Montana - Wyoming, then the desert of Spokane. I was relocating to marry a new husband; short of cash, and had to drive 'straight through' - 3 hours of sleep (average) each night (at a rest-stop). The good part of it all, with all the overwhelming beauty of nature along the way, it wasn't that tough to stay awake....


I drove there 3 days after Mt. St. Helens 'erupted' - I dealt with high gas prices; long distances between stops for food and gas, and had to wear a mask over my face to keep out the ash that piled like snow-drifts on the side of the roads as I neared Yakima.

I hear my heart sing - it doesn't cry out; it simply knows why I love my country so much.

Thank you to John Mitchum who reads this beautiful text; to Nancy Snider for sending me the link. It was a wonderful 4th of July - 2008

Before you 'read on', read these words spoken by John F. Kennedy, Jr. - I love them still.

Let both sides explore what problems unite us instead of belaboring those problems which divide us.

Let both sides, for the first time, formulate serious and precise proposals for the inspection and control of arms, and bring the absolute power to destroy other nations under the absolute control of all nations.

Let both sides seek to invoke the wonders of science instead of its terrors.

Together let us explore the stars, conquer the deserts, eradicate disease, tap the ocean depths, and encourage the arts and commerce.
Today after losing another dear friend, Jean Kreutz, I made a memory page for those we've recently lost. If you've lost a loved one, we know your pain as well. On this blog, there's spiritual music designed to comfort you; do visit it if you feel a need to find solace. http://thoseweremember.blogspot.com

Wednesday, May 21, 2008

While figuring the farthest we like to drive (now that gas is so expensive); capturing a picture like this makes it worth it all!

When we don't want to travel quite so far, we visit Lamoille Canyon which is often called the Yosemite of Nevada.
You go through the forests of the Ruby Mountains to high
desert plains just southeast of Elko. There are dozens of waterfalls and
cliffs. Bighorn sheep and mountain goas amble through the high country -
hawks and eagles soar beautifully over-head.
The main route is 227 - then east of Elko - about 30 miles. The Ruby Mountains are about 10 miles wide and 100 miles long - they say the rocks faulted upward about ten million years ago.
There's the Humboldt National Forest (this number is also
in our travel book - 702-752-3357; now it's here and easier for me to find .. as
well as anyone else who might make a visit to this blog). Lamoille Canyon
is a deep cleft in the mountains. Ruby Dome is 11, 387 feet.
Cottonwoods and willows as well as aspen trees go up the canyon - it's as if
they've chosen 'their home' next to the canyon too, and like where 'they'
live.
You can keep going until you reach Thomas Canyon Campgrounds - there are wildflowers and beautiful white-bark pines.
When we want to make a 'day-trip' that's easy; doesn't
drain the gas-tank, we go to Lake Mead which is about 65 miles from us.
There's a museum on the area's prehistory; my son takes his boat there, and we
enjoy the sandy beach. Right 'next door' is the Hoover Dam; near Boulder
city. Lake Mead is essentially the reservoir; it provides much of
California's water.
The museum is called Lost City Museum - 702-397-2193 is their phone number. They have restored structures and they have artifacts that give us a clear picture of the Pueblo people who inhabited the villages along the nearby Muddy River thousands of years ago.
As we had home, we pass a large silica sand mine; then we
drive in this stark and open stretch of the Mojave desert.
We have visited the Valley of Fire State Park - 702-397-2088; it's about 7 miles of sandstone that has turned red from oxidized iron and eroded into beautiful shapes that look almost like intended sculptures by an abstract artist.
Petroglyph Canyon Trail is beautiful - canyon walls are
decorated; art pieces by those who lived her thousands of years before we moved
here.
At Rainbow Vista there are canyons; domes, towers ridges and valleys in range of colors one can use up about 'megabytes' of memory cards as they capture their beauty!
While we enjoy our periodic visits to Las Vegas (90 miles
from where we live), we prefer the 'outdoors'. We can get to Red Rock
Canyon in about 20 minutes, as we are 'Leaving Las Vegas'..... They have a
national conservation area; 702-363-1921. We sometimes drive up into the
Calico Hills - more sandstone and canyons. We can hike from the sandstone
quarry - it goes north and east into the Calicos; there are rocks that collect
rainwater and the wild animals that live in this area.
Any of these trips we make in either a day - or take at least 5 days when we have 'distance' to cover, and 'dollars' in our pockets..........

No comments: